Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Still Really Rough Draft- Little Sister

Little Sister
Little fairy child
Little "I'm telling mama"
Little "What are you reading?"
and Little "Can I have it when you're done?"
Little taller sister,
but still little sister
When did you become woman?

I'm still living in the times when we had blueberry tongues
and when we picked all the roses out of poppa's garden
Little sister, I have watched you find your own way
all of your life
Watched you go a thousand miles,
running from nothing but toward everything

Little sister, I think of us standing in front of that scale
battling our demons our own ways
I think of you in running shorts and me in sports bras
I think of shoving caffeine pills down our throats
so that we could forget about being hungry
I think of my denial and your pain
and I wonder how we ever learned to love ourselves.

Little sister I think of how we found solace in goddamn devil town
and I remember the whispers in the halls
and the questioning eyes
but little sister I need you to know it wasn't your fault
that children handle things the best they know how
and some handle things better than others.

Little sister, I'm sorry I wasn't always what you needed
but I was still girl becoming woman
but I did the best that I could

Little sister please believe me when I say I wish I could have been more
and that I still do

and when you wonder if you are beautiful
know that you are
When you wonder if you are worth it
know that you are
When you wonder if you are going to make it through this
know that you are

and know that when you felt the touch of hands crossing the boundary of your body,
that you have never been alone.

Little sister know that you are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment